Monday, June 7, 2010

The Destruction of Traditional Art

I have been a regular visitor to the site deviantart.com, or DA as it is called by those who have been longtime viewers. Over the years, I have watched in disappointment as the amount of traditional artwork done by the artists has diminished. Now, the majority of it is done through tablets and computer programs. Even those who had started as traditional artists eventually decided to stop doing it as their worlds had become more technological and they began to feel pressure to start using their computers for their work. This became especially conspicuous when animated shows began to switch over to CGI graphics, deciding to forgo traditional 2-D animation. Though it is understandable that it is more labor intensive to do work by hand, I still feel that the most satisfaction can be received through doing so and all the flaws make it that much more unique.

Thus, each time I see the front page of the popular section of DA and the profusion of CGI, I cannot help but think back to the old days. I know there are still those who admire hand-drawn work, since I have read comments on the rare traditional piece I come across praising the artist for using non-technological materials. Now if only those admirers would speak up more often...

1 comment:

  1. I’m 100% with you on this, I understand that digital art can be pretty but there is something more “real” about hand drawn art. On the animation front for movies, I’ve come to hate the 3D one’s they just seem oddly childish and lacking of character.

    ReplyDelete